CT Adult Family Living/Foster Care
Guardian Angels HomeCare is a credentialed and approved provider for the Adult Family Living/Foster Care Program under the Connecticut Home Care Program for Elders (CHCPE).
Family caregivers in Connecticut can now be compensated for the services they already provide TAX FREE!
With your help and generous care, your loved ones are able to stay at home. You probably don’t expect to be paid, but now you can…with a program that recognizes the value of what you do.
What is this program?
Adult Family Living pays for “personal care and supportive services that are furnished CHCPE and PCA participants who reside in a private home by a principal caregiver who lives in the home,” according to the Department of Social Services (DSS). Spouses cannot be caregivers under this program.
You can get compensated for the care services you already provide TAX FREE!
What type of care is covered?
There are four levels of service, depending on the care recipients’ need:
- Level 1: Individuals who require cueing or supervision to perform Activities of Daily Living, and who may also require management of cognitive or behavioral challenges.
- Level 2: Individuals who require hands-on assistance with two or more Activities of Daily Living on a daily basis.
- Level 3: Individuals who require hands-on assistance to perform three or more Activities of Daily Living or two Activities of Daily Living and assistance for the management of co-occurring challenging behaviors or cognitive deficits.
- Level 4: Individuals who require hands-on assistance to perform four or more Activities of Daily Living or three Activities of Daily Living and assistance for the management of challenging co-occurring behaviors or cognitive deficits.
The primary caregiver is responsible 24/7 for ensuring that the health and safety needs of the individual are met.
What if the primary caregiver needs a break?
You can designate a backup caregiver, another family member or a friend. Once an individual is placed in a home, the program proceeds as follows:
- Caregivers and care recipients receive training, in addition to in-home assessments during the start up.
- Continued support is available through bi-monthly home visits; some service provider agencies also offer additional weekly telephone support.
- Continuous support 24/7 and after hours emergency resources available when needed
- TAX-FREE stipend is paid based on the level of care the recipient qualifies for.
AFL program benefits should be thought of on two levels: the benefits to the individual in need of care and the benefits received by their care provider.
Care recipients receive personal care, supervision, assistance with the activities of daily living such as eating, bathing, dressing and mobility. In addition, care recipients receive assistance with the daily activities, such as transportation, shopping, and meal preparation. They also benefit by living in a family home with care being provided by someone they are comfortable and familiar with.
Care providers receive compensation for their caregiving efforts. With family members, caregivers are paid for work that they would have likely provided at no cost.
Please contact Ione at 203-439-7731 or via email for more information on this program.